This week's post is going to be a little scattershot, and it's going to serve a two purposes. First, I did some more reading this week on archives and identity (focusing especially on family identity) as a way to get a little more focus for the kind of study I can do for a potential project. Second, I want to use this post as a place to discuss this reading in terms of what I might do for this project. The book I focused on this week was Alexandra Hidalgo's Pixelating the Self: Digital Feminist Memoirs , chosen from the list of Intermezzo titles. I chose this book because (1) it seems directly related to ideas I would like to further pursue, and because (2) it is an open acess text, going along with the open access principles we have been discussing in class this semester. While I'm not entirely sure that all my research will be similarly open access, I can at least start here and be conscious of where I'm finding material. Pixelating the Self is an edited ...
Shyam Pandey Professor Michael Salvo ENGL629: Computers in language and writing March 23, 2019 Modes and Codes Having been able to take this course with Dr. Michael Salvo has helped me understand some of the intricacies that involve in computers and writing. While the paper- and-pencil-based education system is still in ongoing mode, composition field has already encountered the pixel era that embraces digital technologies, such as open access, other digital and non-digital publishing and so on. With the advent of computers and technologies, writers have started employing modes of composing other than the alphabetic ones. I have my own lived experiences of composing in two distinctly different transnational writing contexts, i.e., Nepal and the US. Also, I have transitioned from digitally isolated learning context to a context where digital technologies receive a top priority --all the way from the western part of the country, Nepal (—a ru...
Two concepts within the field of computers and writing which are important in the larger national and global discourse as well as in the writing classroom are digital literacy and open access. Even if not named explicitly, digital literacy is what we are talking about when we despair of our paranoid uncle circulating counterfactual political memes; it's what we talk about when we talk about "post-truth." Even if not named explicitly, Open Access is what we talk about when we complain that we can't watch old episodes of The Simpsons on any legal streaming platform; it is what we talk about when we talk about the impracticality of buying a textbook we will only use once, when most of the information within the book can also be found somewhere online. Within the writing classroom, and within computers and writing scholarship, we see these same issues contested in less casual terms. Digital literacy issues and open access issues are often depicted as rather di...
Comments
Post a Comment